When you are thinking about moving to a new state or city, many people have to deal with selling one home while searching for a home. To make this process a little easier, you can immediately start prepping months before the big move. We also have some tips about things not to do if your future involves selling your home. US News tells us 2018 is an excellent time to sell, so we give you the top tips in this blog to simplify your life.
Get your home ready by depersonalizing the space
Fewer buyers are eager to purchase a property that looks like it’s not for sale. Your space needs redefining, updating, and spring cleaning galore to make sure you can sell it fast.
One way to help de-clutter all the closets, the corners of the basement, and the hidden spots in the attic, is to get a storage unit.
You can take your time organizing and packing things away that you do not plan to use for about four to six months. You can put holiday decorations, keepsakes, seasonal bedding, clothes, and extras in storage first to make room to move everything else around.
Update Hardware and Fixtures
- Modern or classic styles
- Energy-efficient products
- Neutral tones and colors
- Appliances that are less than a year or two old
- Stainless steel is always appealing
- Consider replacing counters if they are more than ten years old
- Check for signs of small damage like leaks and cracks that need repairing
- Use bright LED lights in new fixtures
- For fixtures that are not getting replaced, it is a good idea to clean and repaint or polish before the sale
- Paint everything inside and out
- Consider an upgrade like a fountain or fire feature
- Outdoor living areas help make the space more inviting and boost curb appeal
- Remember to give your garage and sheds the same treatment as your house
- Make sure all railings are sturdy and durable – pay close attention to entry and basement stair railings
- Use a smoke detector in each bedroom and on every level of the home
- Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in the home
- Motion detecting security lights add value because they increase safety from theft and falls
Beautify your yard
Curb appeal is a huge part of upgrading your home when you have visions of selling the property and moving into a larger space, or a home closer to work. People will never get through the front door if the yard is full of weeds, overgrown bushes, and dead plants. A drab front door or a house with an address that is not visible can cause buyers to make up their mind even before walking through the front door.
Other ways to keep the outside in shape before you decide to sell
- Fix driveways, sidewalks, and gutters
- Consider energy-efficient window replacements
- Add bright hardware to your porch and garage
- Install shutters
- Put in a porch swing
- Add new mulch to flower beds each year
- Plant some shade
- Add a pergola or arbor
- Water features can block out traffic noise and increase the value of the home when installed properly
- Create a flowering entrance with an arch and some pretty flowers like roses
- Get a new mailbox
- Add house numbers that are at least five inches tall
Maintenance and safety are the kings of upgrading
When potential buyers come into your house, they want to see a home that is ready to move into now. They do not want to think about replacing chandeliers that are twenty years old. A buyer will not be happy to see leaky faucets or pull on cabinet doors that are stuck.
New motion detecting security lights are always a welcome perk when potential buyers come looking for homes to buy. These changes are minor fixes that you can complete ahead of the sale and enjoy while you are still living in the home.
Properties that have little to no repairs are more apt to sell fast because the buyer does not have to work on the home as soon as they move in. There are certain repairs that pay a better return on investment than others, so consider those first.
What to avoid before you sell
- Custom tile designs or small mosaics, unless used as a border
- Going overboard on the hardware like brass or gold accents
- Stark white room paint
- Appliances with color (Realtor.com says the colors purple and yellow turn most buyers off.)
Begin breaking emotional attachments to the house
If you are serious about moving, then you should think about ways that you can start moving on from your old home. By storing personal items, you can begin to see the house as more of a project than a home. You can begin painting and repairing items that need fixing early because those things are not going to go out of style. You can hide a letter to the new owners in the rafters to share a personal experience of living in the home. Have someone come and bless the home and help you on your way out. The key is to break your emotional attachment to the space.
Three reasons you should think about selling sooner instead of later
US News tells us that there are a few things to think about when you are still deciding when to sell your home. Current interest rates are pretty good, but they will not stay the same for long. After a long winter, many buyers have spent several months looking for homes. A huge benefit to moving now is that property tax rates are lower because of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017.
If you want to sell your home, there is no time like now to get going. By planning upgrades and changes early, you can save yourself the hassle of maintenance when you are ready to pack up and move. Your home sale will be much less stressful when you have time to plan and organize your transition from old to new.